Work Experience Procedure (MPF1228)
- Category: Employment
- Review due by: June 30, 2015
- Version: 1
- Approved on: August 24, 2012
- Effective date: August 24, 2012
- Status: Published
This procedure is made under the Recruitment and Appointment Policy.
This procedure applies to work experience students.
1.1 A head of department or level 2 delegate may arrange work experience for a secondary student aged between 13 and 21 years from any category of secondary school.
1.2 Prior to the commencement of the student’s work experience, the head of department or level 2 delegate will:
- sign the student’s Work Experience Arrangement form on behalf of the University, and return the form to the school principal prior to the commencement of the student’s work experience (the Work Experience Arrangement form must also be signed by the student, the parent and the school principal)
- advise the student and the school principal prior to the commencement of the work experience whether the department is willing or unwilling to pay the optional travelling allowance.
1.3 During the period of the work experience, head of department or level 2 delegate will ensure that:
- the student is not given work for more than 12 days per term
- the student is not placed in the same area more than once in 12 months
- the student does not participate in work experience during their school's summer vacation period
- the ratio between a work experience student and staff in the workplace is not less than one student per three full-time employees
- the student works according to the hours and conditions specified in the University of Melbourne Collective Agreement 2010, except that the provisions relating to wages do not apply.
1.4 A head of department or level 2 delegate who wishes to arrange work experience for a mature-age student will, prior to the commencement of a mature-age student’s work experience, sign a letter assigning responsibility for the mature-age student to the nominated department.
1.5 Where a head of department or level 2 delegate agrees to pay a secondary student or mature-age student undertaking work experience, the applicable rates of payment are those set out in the Salaries, Loadings and Benefits Procedure.
The Executive Director, Human Resources is responsible for the development, compliance monitoring and review of this procedure and any associated guidelines.
The Director HR Specialist Services is responsible for the promulgation and implementation of this procedure in accordance with the scope outlined above. Enquiries about interpretation of this procedure should be directed to the Implementation Officer.
This procedure is to be reviewed by 30 June 2015.
Senior Vice Principal
|24 August 2012||24 August 2012|| |
New version arising from the Policy Simplification Project. Loaded into MPL as Version 1.